- Dish type
- Main course
- Vegetable curry
This is an easy vegetable curry with just enough spice! The lentils are filling and you can add any vegetables you have. Spinach leaves add extra colour and flavour.
County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK
65 people made this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, or more to taste
- 12 cherry tomatoes, or 2 whole tomatoes chopped
- 60g red lentils
- 120ml water
- salt to taste
- 1 cauliflower, broken up into large florets
- fresh spinach leaves
- fresh coriander, to serve
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:50min
- In a large frying pan or saucepan, heat oil and gently fry onions, garlic and chilli for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Stir in spices and heat through gently. Add tomatoes, lentils and water; season with salt, stir well, and simmer for 30 minutes or so, or until the lentils are nearly cooked.
- Stir in cauliflower florets and spinach leaves; cover for another 10- 15 minutes until cooked.
- Serve with freshly chopped coriander.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(7)
Reviews in English (8)
Used different ingredients.Used Garam Masala instead of curry powder-12 Dec 2010
i also used a tin of chopped tomatoes plus 1teaspoon of sugar to offset the acidity of the tomatoes i also added a 1chopped courgette and 1 chopped carrot and added 100g of lentils. although i doubled the spices, since i added more vegetables, it came out as a mildly spicy vegetable stew. delicious as it was, it wasnt really hot enough for me although that is in no way the fault of the submitter as i like my curries very hot. will make again because everybody loved it.-13 Apr 2015
I love this recipe as it is very adaptable to what you have available or your personal taste. I like to add a chopped red bell pepper, more cloves of garlic and some finely chopped ginger at the start. I also double the amount of spices. I use a tin of tomatoes. I add 2 diced carrots. I also add more lentils so I add extra water as it cooks. It's delicious!-16 Mar 2018