- Dish type
- Dessert sauces
- Brandy sauce
Looking for the perfect custard recipe? This is it. Or even better, make into meringues, and serve with this custard!
14 people made this
- 8 egg yolks
- 500ml cream
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoons brandy
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:40min
- Separate eggs, and save the whites in the fridge for something else.
- Heat cream in a large saucepan with whole scraped vanilla bean until just below boiling point. Remove from heat and allow to infuse for about 15 minutes.
- Beat together yolks, sugar and flour until combined.
- When cream has cooled a little, poor in yolk mixture and whisk well. Return to heat and stir with a wooden spoon until thickened. Strain to remove any lumps and vanilla bean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then stir in brandy.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (1)
Made this last Christmas and was it was fantastic. I did tweak it a bit as it was too thick so added an extra carton of cream and lots of brandy. It was a good job that I did as so many people liked it I had to give loads away. I used Elmle cream with a good date and it kept in an air tight jar in the fridge until well after Christmas, it was lovely with other desserts as well as traditional Christmas pudding. This year I'm going to try it using only 4 eggs, so tweeking again.-07 Oct 2017